A bit of geography

What is the geography of your country like? Are there any rivers? Are there any mountains?


Jane1023

Jane1023

Jane1023
I speak:
Chinese
I learn:
English, German
Busuu berries :
4202

Chinese terrain from west to east largely followed three steps. About 67 percent of the land area are mountains,plateaus and hills,and about 33 percent of the land area are basins and plains. Mountains are mostly in the west-east direction or in the southeast-northeast direction. Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in the west is known as “the roof of the world”with an average altitude of more than 4000 meters. The top of Mount Everest is the most inaccessible place in the world. The major rivers,such as Yangtze River,Yellow River and Pearl River,originate in the western plateaus and mountains,and along the sloping terrain empty into the sea. The Yangtze River is the longest river in China. The total length is of 6500 kilometers which is only inferior to the Amazon in South America and the Nile in Africa. It flows through 11 provinces,municipalities and autonomous regions. The Yellow River flows through 9 provinces. The Yangtze River and the Yellow River are known as “the mother river”of Chinese nation. Thanks!

Chinese terrain, from west to east, largely followes three steps. About 67 percent of the area, are mountains, plateaus, and hills, and the remaining 33 percent are basins and plains. The mountain ranges are mostly in the west-east direction (??or in the southeast-northeast direction??). Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in the west, is known as “the roof of the world” with an average altitude of more than 4000 meters. Mount Everest is in this area, and is the most inaccessible place in the world.

The major rivers, are the Yangtze, the Yellow, and the Pearl Rivers, and originate in the western plateaus,  mountains or along the sloping terrain. They empty into the sea. The Yangtze River is the longest in China, with total length of 6500 kilometers. It is the third longest river in the world, behind the Amazon in South America and the Nile in Africa. It flows through 11 provinces, municipalities and autonomous regions, and the Yellow River flows through 9 provinces. Together they are known as “the mother rivers”of Chinese nation. Thanks!

Hi, 

Mountains are mostly in the west-east direction or in the southeast-northeast direction? Can I know what you mean on this southeast-northeast direction please. I learnt from my husband, mountain ranges only run in one direction. How do the rivers, flowing west to east, get through the mountains running north to south? It is a confusing point! Otherwise your writing as good as usual, but remember your punctuation. Well done!!

Best regards,

 

Jane1023

Jane1023

Jane1023
I speak:
Chinese
I learn:
English, German
Busuu berries :
4202

I was trying to say“山脉大多呈东西或东北西南走向。”It is so hard for me to translate this into English,but your remark is very useful as usual.

Thank you so much my dear friend!

See you later!(wink)

 

Hallo,

Your English version is correct but cross out the northeast- southeast. The western land altitude of China is the highest, gradually descending east ward, so the rivers flow into The Pacific Ocean. Is it make sense to you? Water flow downhill you see.

Best regards,

Opps, sorry, it is double post! Keep up the work, speak to you again.

Jane1023

Jane1023

Jane1023
I speak:
Chinese
I learn:
English, German
Busuu berries :
4202

I will research your suggestions later carefully.

See you later my dear friend!

Have a nice day!=)

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_China

Jane1023

Jane1023

Jane1023
I speak:
Chinese
I learn:
English, German
Busuu berries :
4202

Thank you so so so much my dear friend!

That's very kind of you!

See you!=)

Welcome back!