<<An idiom is an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is comprehended in regard to a common use of that expression that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made>>
Here are some idioms in Italian:
1) Avere sale in zucca (to have salt in one's pumpkin) = "to be responsible, mature", example "quel ragazzo ha sale in zucca!" (meaning quel ragazzo è resposabile e maturo!)
2) Affogare in un bicchier d'acqua (to drown in a glass of water) = "to get confused by something which is actually simple"
3) Tirare le cuoia (I don't know a literal translation because I really don't know how to translate "cuoia" since it's a word used only in this idiomatic phrase) = to kick the bucket / to die.
4) Stringere la cinghia (to tighten one's belt) = to live a poorer life than before due to unfavourable economic conditions. Example: "la loro azienda di famiglia va male, dovranno stringere la cinghia"
5) Un altro paio di maniche (another pair of sleeves) = another topic/issue
6) Essere di manica larga (to be large-sleeved) = to be generous, especially used with teachers:
Marco "Il prof di storia mi ha dato una A."
Giulia: "Sì ma è di manica larga!"
Marco: "the history teacher gave me an A"
Giulia: "But he/she's 'large-sleeved'! "
That's all for now :-)
If you want to, you can also tell me some of these "crazy talks" in your language :-)
Once I found some idioms in italian and used one of them in my exercise about the financial crisis.
essere alla canna del gas (To be at the gas pipe) Being economically broken
"Grazie" a questa crisi mondiale siamo tutti alla canna del gas. Purtroppo non è del gas esilarante"
Some users made a correction " del gas esilarante",others no.
There are a lot of idioms in my native language too. One of them can be translated into English like this" My eyes don't drink water from him" It means I can't rely on that person.
Another one : He tries to cook my head" means that someone makes another one do what he wants ,
The third " He ate her head" means,that he gave her so many problems that made her go another world .( to die). The meaning is too gloomy... but if we try to imagine those scenes ...Oh,my God ! Something from horror films !!! :)))