Learn English online for free!
English is a West Germanic language that originated in Anglo-Saxon England. Around 375 million people speak English as their first language, making it the largest language by number of native speakers after Mandarin Chinese.
However, when combining native and non-native speakers, English is the most commonly spoken language in the world. It is claimed that non-native speakers now outnumber native speakers by a ratio of three to one.
English around the world
Countries in the world where English is an official or de facto official language, or national language
Countries where English is an official or non-official language, but not a primary language
Why learn English?
- English is the first global 'lingua franca' - modern English, sometimes described as the first world language, is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, radio and diplomacy.
- Nowadays, English is commonly required for many jobs: having English on your CV may help you to win your dream job!
- Most pages on the Internet are in English: that's over a billion pages of information and growing every day!
- About 1.5 billion people around the world speak English and another billion people are learning it.
- English is vital in the world of science; over 95 per cent of scientific articles are written in English.
- You can travel more easily: English is spoken in more than 100 countries.
Learn English online with busuu.com!
With our free English language course, you can learn by talking to native English speakers around the world!
As well as learning directly from other users, you can use our interactive language learning materials to practise and improve your language skills.
The materials are arranged into learning units. Each one is based on a certain topic and contains all of the most important vocabulary and phrases.
What does each language learning unit include?
|Vocabulary: Learn important words and expressions with the aid of pictures and audio clips. Premium Members can also listen to key phrases.|
|Dialogue: Improve your reading comprehension with a fun dialogue, followed by questions to test your understanding. Premium Members can also listen to the audio version.|
|Writing exercise: Develop your written skills by writing a short text for other users to correct.|
|busuu-talk: Connect with native speakers via our integrated video-chat application, which allows you to chat online or even talk to other users in the busuu.com community.|
|Review: Test how much you've learnt with a short quiz and win busuu-berries!|
|PDF: Print out a PDF with each of the grammar and learning units, so that you can even study offline. This tool is only available to Premium Members.|
|Podcast: Listen to podcasts containing the vocabulary, example sentences and dialogues for each of the grammar and learning units. This tool is only available to Premium Members.|
|Voice recording: You can practise your pronunciation, by recording a character’s part in a dialogue, and posting it for native speakers to correct you. Voice recording is only available for Premium Members.|