How can busuu’s features help you to master the English language?
- Mobile apps and website. To use busuu’s mobile apps on Android and iPhone means you can learn anytime, anywhere. If you want to achieve even more, you can explore our “Offline Mode” feature. Download your lessons in advance and study without internet connection whenever you want.
- Corrections from native speakers. busuu unites over 80 million people from all over the world and our members can help you to master the English language. Send your English exercises to our global community and get comments, feedback and advice from native speakers.
- Vocabulary Trainer. Improve your English vocabulary - it's fast and easy with busuu’s Vocabulary Trainer. With this feature, you can learn new English words or revise the ones you've learnt so that you don’t forget them.
Tips on learning English online
busuu's English language expert, Harriet, talks about how we could be more efficient while learning English online.
She’ll answer the following questions for you:
- How can I find time to learn English online?
- How can I memorise difficult English vocabulary without spending days on it?
- How can I get the English practice I need?
3 tips on how to learn English online effectively
Use spare minutes to learn
Learn at your own convenience! Find a few minutes before bed or on your way to work - anywhere works if you want to achieve your English-learning goals. With busuu you will no longer need to “make time” for your English lessons, you'll be able to learn on the go whenever you have a minute.
Make your own plan
You can learn the vocabulary and conversation topics most relevant to your goals and interests... Perhaps you are interested in economics, politics or media? Or do you want to watch your favourite romantic comedy in the original without subtitles and then tell your international friends afterwards. They'll be so impressed!
Practise with native speakers
You don’t have anyone to practise with? With busuu you'll be able to practise with native speakers who are learning other languages on busuu. You will encounter many different accents and examples of slang. Let's do this! Do you want to try out the Scottish or American accent first?
Songs and TV shows to help you learn English online
Learn English online with some popular English songs
- The Beatles - You can’t go wrong with the classics
- Sting - The best songs to sing along to in the shower
- One Direction - A perfect example of contemporary British culture
Watch interesting videos and improve your English vocabulary
- Lost - In case you ever get stuck on an island with hot strangers
- Downton Abbey - Practise your pronunciation and get that posh British accent you always wanted
- Merlin - Explore the magic world of English
“Must Have App”
Bloomberg Business Innovators 2016
“Quicker, Smarter, Better“
How to motivate yourself to learn English online
Don’t take mistakes personally
Mistakes can be the most powerful enemies on your language learning journey. Some learners can feel humiliated when making mistakes and as a result can become very demotivated. But you shouldn’t let mistakes deter you from reaching your language learning goals. The aim of learning a language is to communicate and therefore when you make mistakes while learning and speaking English, they help you remember more easily - overcoming mistakes is how you know you’re truly learning!
Start a success journal
Motivate yourself every day by keeping track of your progress. After each lesson, write down what you’ve learned and what you’ve achieved today. Don’t forget to add details and avoid vague, generic information. Keeping a journal means that you can always look back and review how far you’ve come.
What should I do if I feel lazy?
Break down your objectives into smaller chunks and start to take smaller, more manageable steps to achieve your goal. If you feel that you don’t have the time or energy to study, choose a simple task that will still help you learn or review something: spend 5 minutes reading a text in English or watch a short video on YouTube. After doing that, you might feel more encouraged and maybe even capable of completing a full lesson, leaving you feeling much more satisfied after.
Learn anytime, anywhere. Even offline
Take busuu with you and make use of any spare moments to keep learning. Queueing for a coffee? Waiting for a friend? Even on the journey to work - just download your lessons and learn with Offline Mode!
As seen on TVWatch now