Learn Arabic online for free!
Arabic is spoken by more than 500 million people, making it the 4th most spoken language in the world.
It is the official first language of more than 200 million people in 26 different states, mainly located in North Africa and the Middle East. It is also the language that unites these states and as many as the 300 million people around the world who use Arabic as their second language. The Arabic language is a diglossia, meaning that it is used in its ‘high’ form to unite more than 500 million people, whilst also existing as a ‘low’ dialects whose numbers are as varied as the number of Arab states.
Arabic around the world
Majority Arabic speakers
Minority Arabic speakers
Why learn Arabic?
- Arabic is not just the official language in 26 states, but also one of the official languages of the United Nations, the Arab League, the Organization of Islamic Conference, and the African Union.
- Arabic is the language of the Qur’an and is understood by millions of Muslims around the world.
- Arabic was the language of many ancient great authors and scientists during the Golden Age (750–1258 C.E.). As Arab countries were united by one language, this allowed for many advances in studies which had been started by the Greeks, and many contributions were made to future civilisations in a variety of scientific fields. Many Arabic words either continue to be used or have been borrowed by other languages.
- Arabic will open up a whole new world of travel for you, encompassing 26 new cultures and countries that are as different as their landscapes. You will have the chance to understand a hospitable culture enriched by thousands of years of fascinating traditions.
- Arabic is the language of many developing markets which are growing and could open up new work opportunities. In 2010 the GDP of the Arab League Countries was 1,903,301 million USD.
Learn Arabic online with busuu.com!
With our free Arabic language course, you can learn by talking with native Arabic speakers around the world!
As well as learning directly from other users, you can use our interactive language learning materials to practise and improve your language skills.
The materials are arranged into learning units. Each one is based on a certain topic and contains all of the most important vocabulary and phrases.
tabanat oustralyia al-taadoudiyata al-thaqafiyata yaeichou hounaqa aeidatou ounasen min thaqafaten moukhtalifaten
What does each language learning unit include?
|Vocabulary: Learn important words and expressions with the aid of pictures and audio clips. Premium Members can also listen to key phrases.|
|Dialogue: Improve your reading comprehension with a fun dialogue, followed by questions to test your understanding. Premium Members can also listen to the audio version.|
|Writing exercise: Develop your written skills by writing a short text for other users to correct.|
|busuu-talk: Connect with native speakers via our integrated video-chat application, which allows you to chat online or even talk to other users in the busuu.com community.|
|Review: Test how much you've learnt with a short quiz and win busuu-berries!|
|PDF: Print out a PDF with each of the grammar and learning units, so that you can even study offline. This tool is only available to Premium Members.|
|Podcast: Listen to podcasts containing the vocabulary, example sentences and dialogues for each of the grammar and learning units. This tool is only available to Premium Members.|
|Voice recording: You can practise your pronunciation, by recording a character’s part in a dialogue, and posting it for native speakers to correct you. Voice recording is only available for Premium Members.|