Busuu levels and the CEFR
Each language course on Busuu is developed using the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), an internationally recognised standard for creating language lessons. The CEFR is broken down into six stages, ranging from complete beginner to completely fluent. Busuu’s language courses all cover the first four stages of the CEFR, from A1 to B2 level. Busuu’s English course also covers the level above B2, C1.
Completing Beginner A1 means you can:
- introduce yourself to new friends, order a drink and some food in your new language
- ask and answer simple questions on familiar topics
- write short texts and fill in a form with personal details.
Completing Elementary A2 means you can:
- make plans to go out with friends
- describe your friends and family
- understand the main point of simple texts and conversations
- begin to have longer conversations on familiar topics.
Completing Intermediate B1 means you can:
- describe your favourite films and music, express emotions
- agreement and disagreement, begin to understand TV programs when the topic is familiar
- have more complex conversations where you give reasons and explanations.
Completing Upper Intermediate B2 means you can:
- discuss important issues that affect your life
- understand the main point and important details in the news
- take part in extended conversations on familiar and new topics
- narrate or write a story
- describe the plot of a film or a book.
Completing Advanced C1* means you can:
- speak fluently without too much repetition or hesitation
- understand conversations about social, professional and academic topics, like religion or cultural beliefs
- Write challenging and lengthier passages, showing understanding euphemisms and idiomatic language
- form well-structured arguments.
*C1 course content only available for English on Busuu
The best way to learn a language? Busuu.
Whether you’re learning for a new job, new love or simply a new skill, your path to better language skills starts – and ends – with Busuu. Our combination of self-paced study, live classes with expert tutors and the ability to practise with 120 million native speakers around the world is proven to be the best way to learn a language.
1. Study at your own pace
Our award-winning online courses, lovingly crafted by language experts, are made up of bite-sized lessons. Study as much or as little as you want. Keep it relevant with real-life scenarios – and keep it interesting with comprehension exercises, listening exercises, writing challenges and conversations.
2. Go the long haul
Our smart vocabulary and grammar review tool knows which words you’ve learned, and which ones you’re struggling with. We will tailor your quizzes to help lodge words into your long-term memory. Busuu's Study Plan also helps you keep on top of your learning – the simple act of creating on makes it 5x more likely that you'll achieve your goals!
3. Get it right with community feedback
Level up with support from our community of 120 million learners. Complete a written or spoken exercise, send it out to our community of native speakers, then receive helpful feedback that will help you improve – all within the app.