Learn Japanese online for free!
Japanese is the mother tongue of more than 130 million people and is the tenth most spoken language in the world. Japanese is spoken in Japan, the Land of the Rising Sun, and has the third largest economy in the world. After the US, Japan has the second greatest number of Fortune 500 global companies in the world, being home to 68 of them.
Japan is also the origin of many new social and cultural trends that have influenced global societies and which are now part of an international culture. From cartoons to sushi bars and karaoke, these are just a few examples of how Japan and the Japanese language have become an integral part of international culture.
Japanese around the world
Countries where Japanese is the official and primary language
Countries where Japanese is spoken by minorities
Why Learn Japanese?
- Japanese is the language of the third largest economy in the world, and the home of 68 Fortune 500 companies. Japan is one of the G8 superpowers.
- Knowing Japanese will set your CV apart and will boost your professional career. It will open new work opportunities to you!
- Japanese culture is globalised and more and more trends are exported everyday. Knowing Japanese will allow you to understand that cartoon you watch or the ancient culture and traditions that you see in Japanese films.
- By understanding Japanese, you will be able to unlock Japan’s secrets: from the tea ceremony, to the art of bonsai and origami. It will become your next exotic tourist destination in which you will experience an entirely new culture!
- Japanese is not that hard! The sounds are easy to pronounce and there is no gender, no plural, no articles and only two tenses: present and past.
Learn Japanese online with busuu.com!
With our free Japanese language course, you can learn by practising with native Japanese speakers around the world!
As well as learning directly from other users, you can use our interactive language learning materials to practise and improve your language skills.
The materials are arranged into learning units. Each one is based on a certain topic and contains all of the most important vocabulary and phrases.
Oosutoraria wa tabunkashugi desu. Ibunka wo motsu hitobito ga takusan kurashiteimasu.
What does each language learning unit include?
|Vocabulary: Learn important words and expressions with the aid of pictures and audio clips. Premium Members , can also listen to key phrases.|
|Dialogue: Improve your reading comprehension with a fun dialogue, followed by questions to test your understanding. Premium Members , can also listen to the audio version.|
|Writing exercise: Develop your writing skills by creating a short text for other users to correct.|
|busuu-talk: Connect with native speakers via our integrated video-chat application, which allows you to chat online or even talk to other users in the busuu.com community.|
|Review: Test how much you've learnt with a short quiz and win busuu-berries!.|
|PDF: Print out a PDF with all of the grammar and learning units, so that you can even study while you are not online. This tool is only available to Premium Members.|
|Podcast: Listen to podcasts containing the vocabulary, example sentences and dialogues from all of the grammar and learning units. This tool is only available to Premium Members.|
|Voice recording: You can practise your pronunciation, by recording a character’s part in a dialogue, and posting it for native speakers to correct you. Voice recording is only available for Premium Members|